Introduction to PostgreSQL integration
Ally’s PostgreSQL integration allows you to update your OKR progress automatically depending on the data fetched from your PostgreSQL database. Let’s say you use PostgreSQL databases to store information on the number of leads that is garnered from multiple sources, and you have an objective in Ally.io for increasing the number of qualified leads by 40% every quarter. When you link this objective to the corresponding database in PostgreSQL, the status of your OKR will be updated based on the data in your database. Ally.io will automatically sync the values for you and chart your progress toward the goal, thus saving time while keeping your OKRs current.
Enabling the PostgreSQL integration
Admins can enable this integration, and here’s how it can be done:
- From the sidebar, click on Admin > select the Integrations tab.
- Against PostgreSQL, you will have an option to Enable the integration. If a connection has been made previously or if the integration has been enabled, you will have the option to Manage the enabled integration.
- This integration can also be disabled from the same section by clicking on Change, and choosing Disable integration from the dropdown.
Configuring the PostgreSQL connection
- After enabling the integration, the first step is to configure a PostgreSQL connection.
- Select New Connection, and provide a name for the connection.
- Provide the hostname or IP address of the database server, the port number that the server is listening on.
- Furnish the username and password. Upon authentication, the associated databases will be populated automatically. Choose your database from the dropdown menu.
Note: It is recommended to create a new user/role with read-only permissions to specific databases that will be connected to the objectives in ally.io for enhanced security.
- It is optional to share this connection with other users in the organization. Click on Next to get up and running with this integration. You can edit the saved connection at any time.
Ally.io allows you to connect with multiple databases. Select New Connection to connect to another database. You can differentiate these connections using names, and the names will be displayed to other users when they link their OKRs with PostgreSQL databases.
Connecting the PostgreSQL connection to an OKR
Once you have configured the connection, the next step is to start linking OKRs to the PostgreSQL databases.
- While creating or editing an OKR, click on Connect data source to auto-update progress. From the drop down menu, select PostgreSQL.
- If you have already created a connection, or if your administrator has shared a connection with you, that connection will be selected automatically. Ally.io will prompt you to create a new connection only if there are no connections created or shared.
- Choose the method using which you want to measure the progress — percent complete or KPI (success metric). If you are choosing KPI, provide a metric, starting value, and target value.
- Select a connection, and provide the PostgreSQL query. This query will return a single numeric value, and this value will be tied to the OKR progress.
- Validate the query using the Query Result.
- Click Next > Save. You should be able to see the PostgreSQL icon right next to your OKR. The sync happens once every hour, however, if you would like to initiate the sync manually, click on the PostgreSQL icon, and click on refresh icon.
You have successfully linked your objective to a database in PostgreSQL to update the status of the corresponding OKR automatically based on the data present in the connected database.
The colors of the progress bar indicated the status of the objective.
- If the progress is 0 - 25% less than the expected progress at any given point in time, the OKR status is Behind, and the progress bar color will be Orange.
- If the progress is over 25% less than the expected progress at any given point in time, the OKR status is At Risk, and the progress bar color will be Red.
To learn more about Ally’s other integrations, please visit our Integrations page.