In this Article:
- Identifying OKRs vs Projects
- Convert a Key Result to a Project, and back
- Supported Conversions
Identifying OKRs vs Projects
Most key results that are not KPI metric based are probably projects (see What are Projects?). The main questions to ask when deciding between key results and projects are:
- Is this key result really an outcome for the business, or is it an output on the way to an outcome?
- Can I follow the parent objective with "as measured by" and complete it with this key result in a convincing manner?
One good indicator that a key result may really be a project is if it is percentage completion based and does not have any children. Another is if the language is very delivery-oriented, look for words like "Ship ...", "Deliver ...", "Implement...".
Convert a Key Result to a Project, and back
Want to see what your key result would look like as a project?
- Navigate to the KR that you would like to convert.
- Select "More Options" followed by "Edit"
- At the top of the panel that appears, select the drop down next to "edit objective" and choose "Project"
Now you have converted your KR to a project!
A project can also be switched to a key result by performing the same actions on a project, and selecting the "Objective" option from the drop down.
Not all key results can be converted to projects, and vice versa in this way. Here are the types of key results that can be converted to projects:
- Key results integrated with JIRA or Asana, and using percent completed as the measure of progress
- Key results that do not have an integration or children, and using percent completed as the measure of progress. Progress and status for these will be preserved during the conversion.
Similarly, the types of projects that can be converted to key results are:
- Projects integrated with JIRA or Asana - these will be converted to key results that measure progress by percent complete
- Projects that do not have tasks. Progress and status for these will be preserved during the conversion.
So you can try out your key result as a Project with minimal risk. While it is possible to convert between a key result and a project multiple times, only the last settings from the key result will be remembered.