Introduction to HRIS integration
Every workplace is subject to an ever-changing technological landscape, and oftentimes it becomes important to synchronize employee information across multiple tools managed by the HR department. Ideally, you will want to import as much data as possible from your HRIS to other tools automatically, simply because importing the data manually is a time-consuming, and laborious process.
The primary step in getting started with Ally.io is onboarding users and teams to the system. You can automate this step using our integration with popular Human Resource Information Systems such as SAP SuccessFactors, Workday, UltiPro, Gusto, and Rippling HR among others, that fetches relevant information from your HRIS, and updates this information dynamically.
You can save yourself from the hassle of inundating your IT helpdesk with requests for provisioning, deprovisioning, or updating employee information.
In this article:
- How does the integration work?
- Format for importing user and team information
- Points to be noted
- User field validation
- Custom field for users
- Team field validation
- How to enable SFTP integration?
- Common Questions
How does the integration work?
Ally’s HRIS integration works on the principle of Secure File Transfer Protocol (SFTP). SFTP is a network protocol for file transfer that uses encryption algorithms to securely move data to a server, and makes the file unreadable during this process. Since authentication is involved in SFTP, unauthorized file access is prevented during the transfer process. This provides organizations a higher level of file transfer protection. There are two methods for authenticating connections — password authentication, and key authentication. Ally.io uses password authentication wherein you can simply use the encrypted credentials provided by us to ensure a secure file transfer from your system to our server.
The first step is to import employee data from your HRIS and drop this file at a secure location (which is our SFTP server). We will fetch this file, and provision users and teams into your Ally.io account automatically. The file location, and data during transfer is encrypted, ensuring top-notch security.
To keep this information current, you can schedule a task that will automatically import personnel information from your HRIS, and drop this file to our server. For example, once everyday at 9AM, the entire employee information should be exported, and saved in the specified file location. By doing this, for every user and/or team addition and/or deletion, or any updates, the information will be synchronized dynamically from your HRIS to Ally.io.
Format for importing user and team information
Please ensure that the user and team file includes the exact labels of Ally’s standard header fields, and the file should be in CSV format.
Points to be noted
- The CSV file needs to be imported in the prescribed format.
- The header labels should be exactly the same as that of Ally’s standard header labels.
- Custom field header labels should match any existing custom field in Ally.io.
- New fields outside of Ally’s standard fields or existing custom fields will be treated as new custom fields.
- If a user’s email exists in Ally.io, we will update the information with the fields that match. We will create new users only if the user’s email doesn’t exist in Ally.io.
- If a team exists in Ally.io with the same name as provided in the imported file, we will update the information with the fields that match. We will create a new team only if there is no team in Ally.io that goes by the name provided in the imported file.
- In this process, we will never remove any existing field value for both users & teams.
- If a manager (who is mapped to a user) provided in the imported list is not a user in Ally.io, this user will be created as a manager in Ally.io with the default values, and mapped to the user automatically.
- If a team (that is mapped to a user) provided in the imported list is not a team in Ally.io, this team will be created in Ally.io with the default values, and mapped to the user automatically.
- If a specified parent team is not present is Ally.io, a new team will be created with the default values, and will be mapped as the parent team in Ally.io.
- If a user's deactivation date is before the date of import, the user will be deactivated 24 hours after the import.
- Supported date formats are (dd/mm/yyyy) or (mm/dd/yyyy).
- If a user is omitted from a file, this will not remove the user from Ally.io.
User field validation
- User Email has to be unique and mandatory. All other fields are optional.
- User Name can be provided as a single field 'User Name' or can be given as 'First Name' and 'Last Name' in two separate columns.
- Teams can have a comma-separated list if the user belongs to multiple teams.
- Is Org Admin is a Boolean field and should have a 'Yes' if the user in your organization is an admin or a 'No' if the user is not an admin.
- Deactivation Date accepts date in the format: mm/dd/yyyy or dd/mm/yyyy and the user will be deactivated on the specified date.
Custom field for users
Ally.io will consider all the headers other than the default ones as custom fields for the user. When the feed from your HRIS provider has these custom fields, we will add these automatically to the user record. For example, Employee ID, Joining Date, and likewise.
Custom fields for users will be treated as text fields, date, or boolean fields as per the format. While exporting users in Ally.io, all the custom fields will be included.
Team field validation
- Team name should be unique and mandatory.
- The organization owner will be assigned as the Team Owner if the team owner information is not provided in the file.
- Parent Team should have the name of the parent team.
- Team Type is an optional text field.
How to enable SFTP integration?
HRIS integration is available only for Enterprise customers. If you would like to have this enabled for your organization please reach out to [email protected] with the request. Alternately, you can reach out to your CSM to have this enabled for your organization.
1. Can I use my SFTP server instead of one hosted by Ally.io?
Ally.io can create the SFTP server location that’s hosted by us to drop files or can use any existing SFTP server that’s hosted by your organization.
2. What is the supported file format?
Both the user & team import files should be UTF-8 encoded.
3. When does the user and team data synchronize?
The user & team import will happen once a day for every organization. Please reach out to [email protected] or your CSM to better understand the schedule.
4. How to export users?
On the top-right corner of the tabular summary, you will find an option to export users. A mail will be sent to the administrator for downloading the report.