At Ally, we constantly listen to our customers and provide the best support to onboard Users & Teams onto the Ally account to manage OKRs. In line with our focus on integrations, we have automated the Users & Teams Import and Inclusion of User Custom fields using a secure file transfer method. This supports popular HRIS systems like Ultipro, SuccessFactors, WorkDay, BambooHR, RipplingHR, etc. which have the ability to export your org's Users & Teams details.
Ally also provides a Users Export feature for your perusal.
Users & Teams Import
- Please reach out to [email protected] or your Customer Success Manager (CSM) @ Ally to create your personal SFTP server location hosted by Ally to drop your files (or) You can continue the current mode of file transfer to Ally via email or any existing SFTP server.
Security Note: Ally using SFTP ensures, the file location itself is encrypted. Data is also encrypted in transit by using the SSH File Transfer Protocol (SFTP).
- Please ensure that the Users & Teams file include accurate labels for the Ally standard header fields and are in the acceptable CSV format as indicated in the Appendix below
- User Field Validations - 'User Email' has to be unique and mandatory; All other fields are optional; Users name can be a provided as a single field 'User Name' or can be given as 'First Name' and 'Last Name' in two separate columns; 'Teams' can have a comma-separated list if the user belongs to multiple teams; 'Is Org Admin' is a Boolean field and should have a 'Yes' if the user is your organization Admin or 'No' if the user is not an admin; 'Deactivation Date' accepts date format (mm/dd/yyyy or dd/mm/yyyy) and the User will be deactivated on the specified date.
- Team Field Validations - 'Team Name' should be unique and mandatory; If no 'Owner Email' is provided, the organization owner is assigned as the Team Owner; 'Parent Team' should have the name of the parent team; 'Team Type' is an optional text field.
- All Users & Teams Import will happen once a day for every organization. Please reach out to [email protected] or your CSM to understand the schedule.
User Custom Fields
Including any Custom Fields (from your HRIS system or any other internal system) in the Users file will automatically import them as Users' custom fields into Ally.
E.g., Employee ID, Joining Date, etc.
Currently, they will be treated as Text fields, Date, or Boolean fields as per the format and will be available for Exports. Filtering capability using custom fields will be introduced soon.
Under the Admin > Users page, 'Export Users' button enables the export of your org's Ally Users as a CSV.
Few Rules & Considerations:
- Ally Standard header labels should match exactly as provided in the Appendix below and the Custom Field header labels should match any existing Custom field in Ally as is. New fields outside of Ally standard fields or existing Custom fields within Ally will be treated as New Custom fields.
- The Users Import will always Update matched fields when a User Email is already existing and Create a new User with the fields when a User Email doesn't exist in Ally.
- The Teams Import will always Update matched fields when a Team Name is already existing and Create a new Team when a Team Name doesn't exist in Ally.
- The Imports will never remove any existing field value for both Users & Teams.
- If a Manager mapped to a User in 'Manager Email' field is not already a user in Ally, the Manager will be created as an Ally User with default values and mapped to the User.
- If a Team mapped to a User in 'Teams' field is not already in Ally, the Team will be created with default values and mapped to the User
- If a Parent Team specified is not already present in Ally, a team will be created with default values using the name and mapped as the parent team.
- If the user's 'Deactivation Date' is past the current date of import, the user will be de-activated 24 hours after the import. Supported date formats are (dd/mm/yyyy) or (mm/dd/yyyy))
- If a user (employee) is omitted from a file, this will not cause any change or removal of that user’s account in Ally.
*Both the Users & Teams file should be UTF-8 encoded.
Useful link for more info on converting Excel/other CSV files to UTF-8 encoded file: