Ally's Objective Delegation feature allows objective owners to delegate another individual to update and check-in on an objective.
In this Article:
- What is Delegation?
- Delegation Example
- Adding a Delegation to an Objective
What is Delegation?
Occasionally when you are using OKRs to collaborate with other people within your organization, you would like more than a single person to make an update to an OKR. With Ally's Delegation option, you can assign another individual to check in on OKRs that are not owned by them.
If your organization has Objective Delegation enabled you may come across objectives that look like this.
The above is an example where Reed David is the objective owner but has set Phil S as the delegate to keep it updated.
The delegate will have the same abilities on the objective as the owner with the exception that the delegate will not be able to change the objective's ownership.
As a delegate a user will also gain a new dashboard view that is specific to delegated objectives.
When users are listed as a delegate, they will receive notification to check-in as if they were the owner themselves. The original owner may also elect to receive the notification, this is configured on as objective by objective basis.
Adding a Delegation to an Objective
Users may add a delegate to an objective when creating or editing an objective.
- Click on "Delegated to"
2. Choose the individual who will become the delegate.
3. Then choose from the options below: Delegate any key results below owned by the objective owner AND Elect to have the original owner receive notifications.
4. The user will then be listed as a delegate and will receive the new dashboard upon saving.
The difference between a delegate and a check-in owner
A delegate gets permissions to edit all aspects of an OKR whereas a 'check-in' owner can only check-in manually or set-up an auto integration. A delegate works on behalf of the OKR owner on a specific objective while the check-in owner only updates the progress of an objective on behalf of an owner.
How to assign a check-in owner?
If there is just one owner or multiple owners assigned to an OKR and you would want a user within the organization to check-in and update the progress of the OKR, you can use the ‘check-in responsibility’ feature. The check-in owner will be able to check-in on the OKR (manual check-in) as well as set-up a data link on the OKR (to auto-check-in). This user will be receiving the check-in reminders. In the case of multiple owners, this will prevent all of the owners from receiving reminders, only the user set as 'check-in responsible owner' will receive the reminders.
Steps to assign responsibility for check-ins:
- Log in to Ally.io and click on the ‘+’ button on the top panel to create a new OKR
- Once you enter the objective/ Key Result and want to share it with another individual, choose owners from the ‘Owner’ option. Here you can assign multiple owners for the OKR
- Once you assign an owner, select the user who will be responsible for making check-ins from the ‘Who is responsible for making check-ins?’ drop-down
- Once you make the selection, the user will start receiving the check-in reminders
By default, the owner (the first owner in the case of multiple owners) is set as the person responsible for check-in and users need not explicitly choose unless necessary
If you have an enterprise subscription and would like to have this enabled for your organization please have an account admin reach out to [email protected] with the request.