Here are 3 steps for closing out the OKR period:
Assess how things went
Score and close key results of your Objectives using the 'Close' action. When all key results of an Objective are closed, Ally will automatically assign a score for the Objective based on the score of the Key Results. You can learn more about scoring and closing OKRs.
Once the Objectives are scored, step back and think about how the quarter went overall.
- Which Objectives did I complete successfully? What are the key reasons for succeeding in those?
- Which Objectives did I struggle to do? What issues did I run into?
- What lessons have I learned this period that I can apply to how to structure my OKRs in the next period?
Review with your manager and/or team
- If you are an individual contributor, review your assessment and share your observations with your manager and get their feedback.
- If you are a team manager, have 1:1 discussions with each of your team members to review their OKRs and provide your feedback. Close out all team OKRs and review the assessment on the team OKRs with all of your team members. Share your notes on why the team OKRs were given the scores and invite them to provide feedback; and invite team members to share their reflections including what lessons from this period can be applied to next period's OKRs.
Rollover Unfinished Objectives
Sometimes Objectives do not get completed, and that’s okay. Evaluate the Objective to see whether it is still relevant and attainable. If it is, here's how you can easily rollover the Objective to the next time period.
When a stipulated time period ends (basically, the end of a quarter, or end of a year), and you haven't made the desired progress on your objectives, you can either close them or postpone them to the consequent time period. The chosen objective, its immediate key results and associated projects (if projects has been enabled for your organization; if not, please reach out to your Customer Success Manager to get this turned on) will be cloned to the following time period.
Say, you have an objective to increase brand awareness with a key result to drive more traffic to your website by publishing 10 blogs, and owing to various reasons, you are unable to accomplish this. After the quarter has ended, you can choose to either close this objective and start afresh for the next quarter, or you can postpone this to the next quarter to resume work on this, and accomplish your target. This objective, its key results, and projects will be cloned to the next quarter if you choose to postpone it.
Should I close or postpone?
When the progress is 0
If the current progress is 0, the status will be Postponed by default. A progress of 0 potentially means you have not started working on the objective, or the work you have done has not moved the needle on the objective.
When the progress is anything but 0
If the current progress is anything greater than 0, the status will be Closed by default. This is owing to the fact that there's a substantial amount of progress made, and you might want to close the objective with the progress you are it at that given point in time. However, you also have the option to postpone this objective to chart progress toward the desired goal.
What happens to my progress when I postpone the objective?
As you know, there are two methods of measuring progress in Ally.io, namely — Percent completed, and KPI (success metric). The progress will be reset when it is postponed to the following time period, however 'reset' has a different meaning in the context of Percent completed and KPI.
The progress will be reset to 0. When the objective is postponed to the next time period, you will start working on it from the ground up in terms of the progress.
The progress will be reset to the current value. For instance, you want to publish 10 blogs, and you have published 5 blogs this quarter. When you postpone this to the next quarter, your starting value will be 5, and not 0.
How should I postpone?
- Navigate to the objective you want to postpone.
- Click on the check-in symbol towards the right of the progress bar. If the current progress is 0, the status will be Postpone by default. Anything other than a 0, the status will be Closed by default.
- You will have an option to Continue working on this in another time period. Choose Yes.
- The chosen objective, its key results, and projects will be postponed to the next quarter, which implies that it will be cloned automatically to the next quarter.
- Provide the closing note, and click on Close to close this objective, and continue working on it in the next quarter.
- If you want to postpone it, click on the More actions symbol. You will be able to find the option to postpone.
- Provide a reason for postponing, and click on Postpone to finish the process.